Circular Piezo Ceramic Actuators
(Unimorph and Bimorph)
There are two types of piezo disc actuators, unimorph and bimorph. Unimorph actuators are constructed of one layer of piezo element and bimorph actuators are composed of two layers. The faces of the piezo element are metallized, either through a physical or chemical process, and then polarized. Metallization is only on the faces of the piezo, not on the side. In both actuators, the layer(s) of piezo ceramic are bonded with a substrate, although in some cases, bimorphs do not have a substrate sandwiched in between the two layers of piezo. The substrate act as a base and stabilizer for the disc actuators, and can be any material, conductive or nonconductive.
When voltage is applied to the piezo disc, the piezoelectric material contracts or expands, deforming the disc. The center of the disc deforms the most, and direction of displacement depends on how the voltage is applied, in relation to the polarity of the faces of the piezo disc. During this deformation process, the substrate holds the piezo element together and prevents it from falling apart.
In the application of a pump, this deformation will cause pressure differences in between the inside and outside of the chamber, thus pushing the fluid to move. When the current is created and subsequently released, the piezo disc goes back to its original state.
We offers a variety of piezo discs. Shape, finish, material, dimensions, and performance levels can all be customized! Piezo Direct’s discs are suitable for numerous applications. Unsure what you need? Contact us! Piezo Direct is more than happy to work with you to design a custom piezo part to meet your application requirements.
If none of these products match your requirements, click here to learn more about working with our engineers to build a custom component.
- Low power consumption, fast response time, highly efficient
- Small, thin, lightweight, and quiet
- Widely used in air and fluid pumps
- Flow rate can be accurately controlled and adjusted
- Can be driven using 5VDC/24VDC or 110VAC/220VAC
- Liquid cooling systems for CPUs, computer, LED lights, etc.
- Air or fluid moving equipment (i.e. air pump for fish tank, automatic espresso machine, propane stove, etc.)
- Medical equipment (i.e. Blood pressure monitor, insulin dosing machines, etc.)
- Printer bulk ink supply systems
- Portable electronics (i.e. Proton exchange membrane fuel cell, direct-methanol fuel cell)
- Automatic lubricant supply system for precision instruments
|Model||D x T |
@1V, 100 Hz
|QDTA27-0.5-1||27 dia. x 0.5|
PZT: 24 dia. x 0.3
|55 ± 15%||50 – 80|
|QDTA41-0.6-1||41 dia. x 0.6|
PZT: 36 dia. x 0.3
|115 ± 15%||70 – 110|
|QDTA55-0.55-1||55 dia. x 0.5 |
PZT: 48 dia. x 0.3
|245 ± 15%||130 – 170|
Note: Custom size and specifications available upon request.
Recommended Operative Conditions
Operating Temperature： -10℃～+70℃
Operating Voltage： 100 VDC～115 VDC
Maximum Voltage： 120VDC
Operating Frequency： 50Hz～60Hz